Newspaper article The Journal (Newcastle, England)

Children Played with Toxic Switches

Newspaper article The Journal (Newcastle, England)

Children Played with Toxic Switches

Article excerpt

Scores of toxic mercury switches are missing from a disused factory where seven children had been playing.

Doctors in South Tyneside have been put on alert after the scare, which saw the youngsters taken into hospital on Wednesday.

An investigation into the spills yesterday revealed a number of the switches have been taken from the former BICC Pyrotenax factory in Hedgeley Road, Hebburn.

But only a few have so far been found and residents in the area have been warned to alert officials if any more are spotted.

The mercury was contained by glass within the switches, but had been broken by the children when thrown on the ground in the vicinity of Hebburn Civic Centre and the nearby housing in Campbell Park Road.

Fire crews used sulphur to contain the toxic liquid, which was removed from around six spills by the early hours of yesterday.

Ian Rutherford, environmental protection team leader at South Tyneside Council, said: "After investigation it has been suggested that a number of the glass switches containing the mercury may have been taken from the derelict factory, but only a small number have been recovered, so we are asking the public to be vigilant. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.