Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

Thornaby Edge out of Danger

Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

Thornaby Edge out of Danger

Article excerpt

Byline: By Anthony Vickers

Thornaby scored twice in a dramatic last three minutes as they came from behind to win 2-1 at mid-table Horden.

The revived strugglers' last gasp double strike stretched their impressive unbeaten league run to ten games and continued their rise away from danger.

Thornaby have soared off the bottom to edge four points clear of the drop spots and are now targeting the top half.

But they left it late against a Horden side now bossed by former Billingham Town manager Alan Robinson and midfield schemer Jason Ainsley.

Thornaby suffered an early blow as striker Richie Storr came off worse in a clash of heads and was rushed to hospital for treatment and with a limited bench reserve keeper Paul Clements was forced to go on as an outfield player.

Thornaby had the best chance of a tight first half as a Nicky Mohan header was saved and Jamie Clarke fired the rebound wide.

But Horden took the lead three minutes into the second half when a Mark Casey clearance fell to Chris Pearson and he drilled in a sizzling 25 yard volley.

Horden had the edge until Devine was sent off on 70 minutes for throwing a punch at Simon Shaw then Thornaby took advantage and got a deserved leveller three minutes from time as Jamie Clarke powered home a close range header from a cross.

And deep in stoppage time Clarke was bundled over in the box and Simon Shaw rammed home the resulting penalty.

Down at the bottom problems mounted for GUISBOROUGH TOWN as a makeshift side lost 2-0 at home to Morpeth.

It was a bad day at the office for Town with two good penalty shouts waved away, more injuries and other results dumping them back on the bottom.

The patched up Priorymen were rocked early on as energetic midfielder Austin Johnson limped off injured and boss Steve Corden was forced to go on then later Gary Hamilton also went off and assistant Steve Dowling came on.

Spirited Town beavered away and had a lot of the ball but lacked a cutting edge.

Morpeth got the opener on 17 minutes as a half cleared cross fell to Gareth Rees and he drilled it down off the crossbar and in off the back of keeper Ben Escritt. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.