Newspaper article The Journal (Newcastle, England)

Keeping Your Home Work Legally Correct

Newspaper article The Journal (Newcastle, England)

Keeping Your Home Work Legally Correct

Article excerpt

As spring approaches and thoughts turn to booking summer holidays, many are inspired to use the interim period to catch up on home improvements.

Whether it be decorating, installing a new kitchen or extending your home, in the rush to get jobs completed before jetting off for a well-earned break in the sun, it is easy to forget that more and more renovation and remedial work is now governed by legislation.

You may be required by law to use certain materials or employ professionals with specified qualifications. Or it may be necessary to get your work checked and certified by a registered professional. Certification is playing an increasingly important role and is frequently required as evidence to show you have complied with legislation.

My colleague Jamie Corcoran, an expert in the legalities of construction and engineering works, reported in the Homemaker a few weeks ago, the new regulations which have been introduced to "control" amateur electrical works in the home.

We also reported to you in September on the latest regulations for Building Regulations approval and new FENSA requirements.

For those planning a DIY project, or looking at external updates, I have revisited legislation that may affect you:

* From January 1, all new electrical work or electric components installed in residential properties must be designed and installed in accordance with Part P of the Building Regulations.

This classifies all electrical works into:

(a) Non-notifiable work ( while these works do not require any notification to the local Building Control department, householders are recommended to have work checked by a competent electrician. This will cover small electrical jobs such as replacing a socket, control switch or ceiling rose on an existing circuit provided that such works are not carried out in a kitchen, bathroom or outdoors.

(b) Notifiable work ( all other work, which includes the installation of a new circuit or the rewiring of properties, will need to be notified and requires certification. You can do this by notifying your local Building Control officer, who will inspect the work. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.