Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

Fears for Brits in Quake

Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

Fears for Brits in Quake

Article excerpt

Foreign Office officials were today looking into reports that a "handful" of Britons were missing in the area affected by the earthquake in south east Asia.

Concerned friends and relatives have been in touch to say they had not heard from loved ones they believed to be in Western Sumatra and the islands off its coast, which include Nias, the worst hit by the disaster.

A Foreign Office spokeswoman said there were now less than ten Britons reported missing in the area affected by the earthquake.

"The number has dropped overnight as some people thought to be missing have got in touch," she said.

Inquiries were still continuing into the whereabouts of the others, she added.

After the 8.7-magnitude quake hit on Monday, killing hundreds on Nias, the Foreign Office advised British travellers in affected countries to stay alert.

Relief workers were last night assessing the devastation on Nias, as the grim search for survivors continued.

Indonesian authorities said 330 bodies had already been found, with some predicting that up to 2,000 could have perished. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.