Newspaper article Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England)

She Should Never Have Been Alone

Newspaper article Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England)

She Should Never Have Been Alone

Article excerpt

Byline: By Brenda Hickman

Questions were being asked today as to why a woman was left alone to supervise a teenage sex offender.

The mental health worker was left covered in blood after being battered by the patient in an attempted rape while she escorted him on an angling trip from hospital.

Today the boss of the fishing farm told how she helped the stricken woman who ran to her farmhouse with a split lip and facial injuries.

The attack happened at 4.45pm on Monday near lake Mallard, at Felton Fence Fisheries, Northumberland, and sparked a police manhunt.

Late yesterday, an 18-year-old was found and arrested in Northumberland, after 24 hours on the run.

Locals had been warned to keep their doors locked and be vigilant.

Today, as fisheries farm owner Irene Adamson told how she comforted the woman, questions were asked over the level of supervision for the dangerous patient.

Mrs Adamson said: "The poor woman was in terrible shock. She ran to our home just as my husband and I returned from a show. She was covered in blood and could hardly speak.

"I know this lad had been coming here to fish before, we get some patients from Northgate hospital, but they are usually supervised with two or three workers.

"This time the woman was on her own. She had been attacked and had to go to hospital. She had lost her mobile phone in the struggle, but fortunately my son, who had been fishing nearby and had left the scene before the attack, later found her phone.

"We have had no problems with patients under supervision before, they see it as a day trip.

"I've spoken to this lad before when he's been up with others. It's frightening to think what could have happened to the woman on her own.

"Surely someone should have assessed the risk of a woman care worker being out here alone with him?"

Mentally-ill William Pritchard, 18, was sent to the North East in 2004 from prison to serve a hospital order.

He had been given an eight-year jail term for two rapes when he was 14 and is on the Sex Offenders' Register. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.