Newspaper article The Journal (Newcastle, England)

Rugby Union: Falcons Keep It Cool in Victory; Newcastle Jubilant as They Beat a 'Disgraceful' Sale

Newspaper article The Journal (Newcastle, England)

Rugby Union: Falcons Keep It Cool in Victory; Newcastle Jubilant as They Beat a 'Disgraceful' Sale

Article excerpt

Sale Sharks 18

Newcastle Falcons 26

EWCASTLE Falcons boss John Fletcher was delighted to see his side overcome the odds and beat Premiership champions Sale.

Away from home and with players sin-binned at the end of each half, Newcastle scored the only tries of the game to bring two precious points back to the North-East.

The home side didn't capitalise when Andy Parry and Ben Woods were sent off the field but Fletcher said it was a situation he did not relish.

"It's always tough and not a lot of teams win here at any time of the year, so we're pleased," he said. "(Sale) didn't capitalise on (the sin binnings) and it's something that I'm sure they'll look at. But it's something that we'll be looking at as well.

"We're not going to win too many games with 14 men on the pitch at any one time."

James Hoyle scored a crucial try to earn the win and send the visiting supporters home in raptures.

Beaten 15-9 at Bristol last week, the Sharks extended their run without a try to three matches and missed a big chance to put pressure on the Premiership leaders.

And Sale director of rugby Philippe Saint-Andre branded the defeat "a disgrace" and the worst home performance in his tenure at Edgeley Park.

While Newcastle were without Toby Flood, Jamie Noon and Mathew Tait, it was the Sharks who really lacked incisiveness behind the scrum.

The gritty Falcons defence found it all too easy to snuff the hosts out and after Mike McCarthy scored the first try before half-time, Hoyle added a second just after the break.

Matt Burke weighed in with a further 16 points for the visitors, while Sale replacement Stuart Turner was sent off in added time at the end.

The hosts got off to a poor start, failing to deal with the kick-off and straying offside to enable Burke to put the Falcons three points ahead with just a minute gone.

Daniel Larrechea cancelled that out from 50 yards a couple of minutes later with the first of his five penalties and the Sharks finally showed some fluency with ten minutes on the clock.

Larrechea collected Hoyle's poor kick and cut through the Newcastle defence before further charges from Sean Cox and Sebastien Chabal set up an easy penalty for the Sharks stand-off. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.