Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

JAILED; Eight Years for Attack on Partner

Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

JAILED; Eight Years for Attack on Partner

Article excerpt


A STOCKTON man who savagely stabbed his partner 22 times with a "Rambo-style" hunting knife has been jailed for eight years.

Teesside Crown Court heard Christine Blackburn was lucky to be alive following the frenzied attack overnight on Sunday May 11 by her then partner Martin Graham Osbourne.

The court was told 52-year-old Osbourne repeatedly knifed Ms Blackburn at around midnight before ringing 999 and saying: "Someone is dying. Just send an ambulance."

But drunken Osbourne then returned to his victim and resumed the attack by stabbing her again repeatedly with the 7ins blade.

When the police and paramedics arrived at their home Osbourne opened the door and calmly told officers: "She is upstairs in the back room."

Before he was arrested he added: "She has pushed me too far."

Prosecutor Jolyon Perks said Osbourne had been drinking excessively all day at the Sheraton pub in Hardwick on the day of the attack.

On the evening Ms Blackburn also went to the Sheraton to take part in a pub quiz before the pair made their way back to their shared home on Kirklevington Walk, Stockton.

At the time the couple, who had been in a relationship since 1997, were in the middle of a separation and were sleeping in different rooms, the court heard.

"She was getting ready for bed and he approached the bedroom door," said Mr Perks. "She said goodnight but he then pushed the door open and she could see a knife in his right hand. She described the look on his face as 'determined'."

Ms Blackburn then said: "Martin, somebody is going to get hurt, please put the knife away." To which he calmly replied: "Yes it's you - because I'mgoing to kill you."

Osbourne also told his ex-partner "If I can't have you nobody else can" before launching the horrific knife attack.

A neighbour told police howshe heard screams and pleas for the assault to stop.

Ms Blackburn, then 56, was taken to the nearby University Hospital of North Tees with her injuries.

Home office pathologist Mark Egan reviewed the victim's injuries and wrote in his report: "It is extremely fortunate that the knife has not brought about death by involvement with vital organs. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.