Newspaper article The Journal (Newcastle, England)

Rugby Union: Falcons' Cup Hopes Ended; Noon and Hayman Hurt as Wasps Prove Too Strong

Newspaper article The Journal (Newcastle, England)

Rugby Union: Falcons' Cup Hopes Ended; Noon and Hayman Hurt as Wasps Prove Too Strong

Article excerpt


Newcastle Falcons 13

London Wasps 26

NEWCASTLE'S interest in the EDF Cup ended in a dismal 26-13 defeat at the hands of Wasps at Kingston Park last night, writes ALAN HEDLEY.

Wasps scored four tries and the only real piece of good news for Newcastle was that England centre Jamie Noon, who was stretchered off in the first half, was not as seriously injured as first appeared.

It didn't look good when Noon went down after a double hit in the eighth minute from Josh Lewsey and Jeremy Staunton. He was on the ground a long time and fitted with a neck support before being carried off on a stretcher.

Newcastle also lost All Black prop Carl Hayman with a knee injury late in the game and director of rugby Steve Bates said: "It hasn't been a lucky evening in terms of injuries or the result, but Jamie is fine, although he got whacked and it looks like concussion.

"He had a bit of tingling down one arm, which is why the medical staff took all the precautions they did and Jamie was out for a while, but he is walking round downstairs now and seems fine.

"Wasps are a quality team and we battled really well but we didn't look comfortable when we had the ball and we will have to look at that."

While Wasps will be happy with four tries, England will not be with the injury to Noon and RFU director of rugby Rob Andrew, who watched from the stand, will be checking on Noon on Monday when the England squad meet up.

Newcastle started last night's game well. The home pack caught Wasps on the hop at the first scrum and when they stood up as the Falcons put on the drive, it led to a second minute penalty for Rory Clegg.

There was a long delay for the treatment to Noon in the eighth minute and he was eventually replaced by Tom Dillon.

Newcastle's lead disappeared in the 12th minute when Brent Wilson fell off Lewsey and Paul Sackey had the easiest of run-ins for the try for a 5-3 lead, with Danny Cipriani making a real mess of the conversion attempt.

Newcastle were certainly not overawed and youngsters Clegg and Dillon combined to take the Falcons into the Wasps half and when Lewsey stepped offside, Clegg kicked a 27th minute penalty to put his side back in front at 6-5. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.