Newspaper article The Journal (Newcastle, England)

Jade Marries amid Laughter and Tears; Bride Forced to Rest at End of Ceremony

Newspaper article The Journal (Newcastle, England)

Jade Marries amid Laughter and Tears; Bride Forced to Rest at End of Ceremony

Article excerpt

Byline: David Lucas

TERMINALLY-ILL reality television star Jade Goody braved pain and exhaustion to wed fiancee Jack Tweed yesterday.

The bride managed to stand for most of the 45-minute service, but rested on a chair during the final five minutes, her publicist Max Clifford said.

He also revealed she had slipped her shoes off during the ceremony because her feet were hurting.

"It was just a very heart-rending, happy ceremony with lots of tears and lots of smiles and lots of laughter," he added.

"When they came out having signed the register they got a standing ovation from everybody there."

The couple planned the wedding in only nine days. Jack proposed on February 13 at Jade's hospital bedside after doctors said she had just weeks to live because cervical cancer had spread to her liver and bowel.

The new Mrs Tweed wore an ivory dress, a present from Harrods owner Mohammed al Fayed. Her sons Bobby, five, and Freddie, four, carried her train, Mr Clifford said.

Wedding guests included Crimewatch presenter Nick Ross and Blue singer Antony Costa while TV presenters Richard Madeley and Judy Finnigan arrived for the reception.

The newlyweds planned to spend last tonight at the Down Hall Country House Hotel in Hatfield Heath, Essex, where the ceremony took place.

The groom would have been forced to leave the reception early, but on Friday the Ministry of Justice agreed to relax bail conditions which ordered him to return to his mother's house in Essex by 7pm every day.

Mr Clifford said the newlyweds were "thrilled" they could spend what might be "their only night together".

"They'll be spending the night together here, compliments of Jack Straw. We're very grateful to him for that.

"Then probably she'll go home at some point tomorrow."

The groom was jailed for 18 months last September after assaulting a teenager with a golf club and was released from prison last month on the condition he stuck to the curfew and wore a tag. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.