Newspaper article Daily Examiner (Grafton, Australia)
Today in History
Today is Thursday, February 12, the 43rd day of 2009. There are 322 days left in the year. Highlights in history on this date:
* 1554 - Lady Jane Grey is executed for treason in England.
* 1577 - Don John of Austria, new Governor of the Netherlands, issues edict to settle civil war.
* 1736 - Nadir Shah becomes King of Persia.
* 1851 - Edward Hargraves discovers gold at Summerhill Creek in NSW, triggering the Australian gold rush.
* 1899 - Germany buys Pacific islands of Marianas, Carolines and Palau from Spain.
* 1907 - More than 300 people die in the US when the steamer Larchmont collides with a schooner off New England's Block Island.
* 1908 - First round-the-world car race begins in New York.
* 1912 - Pu Yi, the last emperor of China, abdicates, ending more than 2,000 years of imperial rule.
* 1924 - Tutankhamen's sarcophagus is opened to reveal his coffin, 15 months after the tomb was first discovered.
* 1924 - George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue premieres in New York City. …