Newspaper article Daily Examiner (Grafton, Australia)
Today in History
Today is Friday, February 20, the 51st day of 2009. There are 314 days left in the year. Highlights in history on this date:
* 1437 - Scotland's King James I is murdered by would-be usurpers in Scottish city of Perth.
* 1507 - Painter Gentile Bellini, son of Renaissance artist Jacopo Bellini and famed for his own scenes of Venice, dies.
* 1876 - Submarine cable connected between NSW and New Zealand.
* 1962 - Astronaut John Glenn becomes first American to orbit earth.
* 1965 - The Ranger 8 spacecraft crashes on the moon after sending back thousands of pictures of the lunar surface.
* 1979 - Some 175 people killed by an eruption of the Sinira volcano in Indonesia.
* 1981 - In a first inquest, Alice Springs Coroner determines that Azaria Chamberlain was killed by a dingo.
* 1985 - Sale of contraceptives is made legal in Ireland.
* 1986 - Russia launches the Mir space station; Widespread religious violence involving Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs flares in India, and city curfews are imposed in three states. …