Newspaper article Daily Examiner (Grafton, Australia)
Today in History
Today is Tuesday, February 24, the 55th day of 2009. There are 310 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date
* 1525 - Spanish army, using muskets for first time in war, route French and Swiss forces at Pavia, Italy, as 14,000 men are slain in battle.
* 1771 - Encyclopaedia Britannica first published.
* 1875 - 102 die when steamer Gotenburg hits a reef south of Townsville, North Queensland.
* 1920 - Nazi Party is organised in Germany.
* 1968 - Australian Prime Minister John Gorton wins House of Representatives seat of Higgins vacated after predecessor Harold Holt disappeared in surf two months earlier.
* 1968 - Coalition government led by Liberal Robin Askin is returned to power for second term in NSW.
* 1981 - Buckingham Palace announces engagement of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer.
* 1989 - Cargo door of a United Airlines jumbo jet blows out on a flight from Los Angeles to Sydney; nine passengers are killed.
* 1905 - Death of French novelist Jules Verne. …