Newspaper article Daily Examiner (Grafton, Australia)
Today in History
TODAY is December 15, the 350th day of 2008. There are 16 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date:
* 1711 - The plague breaks out in Copenhagen.
* 1890 - Chief Sitting Bull of the Sioux is killed during an attempt to arrest him by reservation police in the US state of South Dakota.
* 1939 - The motion picture Gone With the Wind premieres in Atlanta, in the United States.
* 1944 - The plane carrying American band leader Glenn Miller, a US Army Major, disappears over the English Channel, probably the victim of bombs jettisoned from British bombers returning from an unsuccessful raid.
* 1961 - Former Nazi Adolf Eichmann is sentenced to death in Jerusalem.
* 1965 - Two US manned spacecraft, Gemini 6 and Gemini 7, manoeuvre to within 3 metres of each other while in orbit and relay data about Venus as it flies past the planet.
* 1970 - Soviet spacecraft starts sending messages from planet Venus.
* 1990 - Cattle rancher Darly Alves da Silva and his son Darci Alves Pereira are convicted of murdering Brazilian rain forest defender Chico Mendes. …