Newspaper article The Daily Mercury (Mackay, Australia)
Today in History
TODAY is Friday, January 16, the 16th day of 2009. There are 349 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date:
* 1547- Ivan the Terrible is crowned Russia's first czar.
* 1761- British take Pondicherry after siege, marking end of French dominion in India.
* 1917- Germans propose in a telegram that Mexico become Germany's ally with a view to recovering Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. The telegram is intercepted, hastening the US entry into World War I.
* 1920- Prohibition, the legal prevention of the manufacture, sale, or transportation of alcoholic drinks, begins as the 18th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution takes effect. It is later repealed.
* 1964- Thirteen Arab nations, meeting in Cairo, agree to set up military command to strengthen Arab position on problems related to Israel.
* 1964- The musical "Hello, Dolly!," starring Carol Channing, opens on Broadway in New York, USA, beginning a run of 2844 performances.
* 1969- Soviet cosmonauts achieve first linkup of two manned spaceships while in orbit around earth. …