Newspaper article The Daily Mercury (Mackay, Australia)
Today in History
TODAY is December 15, the 350th day of 2008. There are 16 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date:
* 1640 - The Duke of Braganca is crowned John IV, the first king of Portugal after 60 years of Spanish rule.
* 1806 - Napoleon Bonaparte enters Warsaw, Poland.
* 1939 - The motion picture Gone With the Wind premieres in Atlanta, in the United States.
* 1944 - The plane carrying American band leader Glenn Miller, a US Army Major, disappears over the English Channel, probably the victim of bombs jettisoned from British bombers returning from an unsuccessful raid.
* 1961 - Former Nazi Adolf Eichmann is sentenced to death in Jerusalem.
* 1965 - Two US manned spacecraft, Gemini 6 and Gemini 7, manoeuvre to within 3 metres of each other while in orbit and relay data about Venus as it flies past the planet.
* 1986 - Rival ethnic groups battle in Karachi and set hundreds of homes and shops ablaze in the city's worst rioting since Pakistan's independence 39 years earlier. …