Newspaper article Daily Examiner (Grafton, Australia)
Today in History
TODAY is Tuesday, April 14, the 104th day of 2009. There are 261 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date:
* 1759 - Death of German composer George Frederick Handel.
* 1775 - The first American society for the abolition of slavery is organised by Benjamin Franklin and Benjamin Rush.
* 1865 - US President Abraham Lincoln is shot by actor John Wilkes Booth at the Ford Theatre in Washington DC. He dies the following morning.
* 1879 - First use of a parachute in Australia when Henri L'Estrange uses one to control the descent of his balloon which burst over Melbourne.
* 1894 - Motion picture 'peep show' device invented by Thomas Edison goes on public display in New York City.
* 1912 - The White Star passenger liner Titanic strikes an iceberg in the North Atlantic and sinks early the next day on her maiden voyage; 1,523 of the 2,200 passengers and crew die.
* 1917 - Death of Ludovik Lazarus Zamenhof, creator of the language of Esperanto.
* 1939 - John Steinbeck's novel The Grapes of Wrath is first published. …