Newspaper article Daily Examiner (Grafton, Australia)
Today in History
TODAY is Friday, May 8, the 128th day of 2009. There are 237 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date:
* 1789 - Supply ship Sirius returns to Sydney from Cape Town with provisions.
* 1876 - Death of Truganini, formerly believed to be the last Tasmanian Aborigine, but now a symbol of the struggle and survival of the island state's indigenous population.
* 1901 - Federal Labor Party is founded in Australia with JC Watson as leader.
* 1907 - Carlton and United Breweries is formed from the union of six major Melbourne breweries.
* 1916 - Forces from Australia and New Zealand arrive in France during World War I.
* 1942 - Battle of the Coral Sea ends when a US fleet turns back a Japanese invasion force heading for Port Moresby.
* 1943 - Twenty-five Australian defence personnel die when their bus collides with a train at a level crossing near Wodonga, Victoria.
* 1948 - Margaret McIntyre becomes first woman elected to Tasmanian parliament.
* 1970 - Up to 200,000 Australians participate in demonstrations against the Vietnam War. …