Newspaper article The Daily Mercury (Mackay, Australia)
Today in History
Today is Wednesday July 29, the 210th day of 2009. There are 155 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date:
* 1030 - King Olaf, patron saint of Norway, is killed in battle.
* 1565 - Mary Queen of Scots marries Henry, Lord Darnley, in Edinburgh.
* 1890 - Vincent van Gogh, Dutch post-impressionist painter, dies two days after shooting himself.
* 1914 - Transcontinental telephone service begins in the US with first phone conversation between New York and San Francisco.
* 1930 - Airship R100 sets out on its first passenger-carrying flight from England to Canada.
* 1948 - First Olympic Games after World War II open in London at Wembley Stadium.
* 1957 - International Atomic Energy Agency is established.
* 1958 - US President Dwight Eisenhower signs the National Aeronautics and Space Act, which creates NASA.
* 1981 - Prince Charles marries Lady Diana Spencer at St Paul's Cathedral in London.
* 1994 - Two people, including a doctor wearing a bulletproof vest, are shot and killed outside an abortion clinic by an anti-abortion protester in Florida. …