Newspaper article Daily Examiner (Grafton, Australia)
Today in History
TODAY is Monday, August 3, the 215th day of 2009. There are 150 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date:
* 1846 - Opening of one of Australia's oldest boys' school, Hutchins School in Hobart.
* 1852 - First steamship to arrive in Sydney, SS Chusan, berths after 80-day journey from England.
* 1858 - Lake Victoria, the source of the Nile, is discovered by English explorer John Speke.
* 1860 - The second Maori War begins.
* 1891 - Australia's second-biggest bank at the time, the Bank of Van Diemen's Land closes after incurring a debt of one million pounds.
* 1914 - Germany declares war on France; Belgium refuses Germany's request to allow its troops to enter the country; Britain warns Germany against invading Belgium.
* 1936 - Black US athlete Jesse Owens wins the first of his four gold medals at the Berlin Olympics.
* 1963 - After nearly 300 performances at the Cavern Club, Liverpool, since 1961, the Beatles play there for the last time.
* 1966 - Death of Lenny Bruce, US comedian, from overdose. …