Newspaper article Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England)

Helping the Most Needy

Newspaper article Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England)

Helping the Most Needy

Article excerpt

NAME: Graeme Marsh.

AGE: 45.

JOB TITLE: Regional Environmental Control Systems (ECS) Service Manager/Assessor.

WHERE DO YOU WORK?

75% of the time I'm in the community, performing clinical client assessments/visits. The remaining 25% of my time is spent at two different office locations - the Regional ECS Service in Hexham, and the Regional Communication Aids Service based at Walkergate Park Centre for Neuro-rehabilitation and Neuropsychiatry, Newcastle.

WHAT DOES YOUR JOB INVOLVE?

ECS provision can allow someone to remotely operate a wide range of equipment - this is to alleviate/help or compensate for an injury or impairment.

The Regional Environmental Controls Systems (ECS) Service is a highly specialised technical service, which is responsible for the prescription, procurement, installation and maintenance of a wide range of complex bespoke Environmental Controls Systems.

THE MAIN USES OF EC SYSTEMS ARE TO PROVIDE PERSONAL: Security - alarms, door locks, intercoms.

Communication - telephones. Comfort - lights and heaters. Entertainment - TV, video, hi-fi, DVD.

Home Control - doors, windows. Computer access.

People referred to this service are assessed by me, with those best known to them (ie relevant health and social care professionals).

The eventual provision is often a collaboration between health and social care.

MAIN JOB PURPOSE: Overall responsibility for the management and provision of the Regional (ECS) Service.

The initial assessment and resulting prescription of highly complex specialist bespoke ECS installations for clients.

The management and progressive development of the recently reconfigured Regional Communication Aid Service.

WHAT ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT QUALITIES YOU NEED FOR THIS TYPE OF WORK?

You need to be both technical and academic, with a comprehensive engineering background The personal qualities you need are excellent communication skills, total respect, empathy and understanding for clients and carers.

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN IN THIS PROFESSION? I have been in the clinical engineering profession since January 1989.

However, I have specialised in rehabilitation engineering related disciplines since July 1993.

WHERE DID YOU TRAIN AND WHAT DID THAT TRAINING INVOLVE? My engineering training started back with Marconi Radar Systems Ltd back in 1979.

Clinical Engineering training commenced within The Regional Medical Physics Department, January 1989. Branching into the specialism of Rehabilitation Engineering in 1993. My academic achievements were gained at numerous educational establishments throughout my employment in both industry and the public sector, including South Tyneside College of Marine Technology, Gateshead Technical College and the Newcastle College of Arts and Technology. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.