Newspaper article The Daily Mercury (Mackay, Australia)
Today in History
TODAY is Thursday, September 3, the 246th day of 2009. There are 119 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date:
* 1609- English navigator Henry Hudson, looking for a passage to India on behalf of the Dutch West India Company, sails into what becomes known as New York harbour and up the river that now bears his name.
* 1658- Death of Oliver Cromwell, English soldier and statesman who led parliamentary forces in the Civil War, aged 59.
* 1783- The Treaty of Paris ending the American War of Independence is signed by Britain and the United States.
* 1888- American George Eastman patents his roll film camera and registers the name Kodak.
* 1901- Australian flag is flown in public for the first time, over the Melbourne Exhibition Building.
* 1918- Death of Sir John Forrest, Australian explorer and statesman who led expeditions into Australia's western interior and was Western Australia's first premier (1890-1901).
* 1935- At the Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah, Sir Malcolm Campbell's racing car is timed at 301. …