Newspaper article The Daily Mercury (Mackay, Australia)
Today in History
Today is Tuesday, December 15, the 349th day of 2009. There are 16 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date:
* 1890 -Chief Sitting Bull of the Sioux is killed during an attempt to arrest him by reservation police in the US state of South Dakota.
* 1939 -The motion picture Gone With the Wind premieres in Atlanta, in the United States.
* 1961 -Former Nazi Adolf Eichmann is sentenced to death in Jerusalem.
* 1990 -Cattle rancher Darly Alves da Silva and his son Darci Alves Pereira are convicted of murdering Brazilian rain forest defender Chico Mendes.
* 1993 -Offering the Irish Republican Army a chance that "might never come their way again", British and Irish leaders sign a complex framework for negotiating peace in Northern Ireland.
* 1994 -The Swedish government decides not to salvage the bodies from the ferry Estonia, which sank in the Baltic, killing 800 people. The decision is opposed by relatives.
* 1995 -Pioneer 6, a spacecraft launched on a journey through the solar system on December 16, 1965, gets an early happy birthday call from NASA and answers back. …