Newspaper article Sunshine Coast Daily (Maroochydore, Australia)

Nambour the Heart of Coast

Newspaper article Sunshine Coast Daily (Maroochydore, Australia)

Nambour the Heart of Coast

Article excerpt

TO some, Nambour may seem to be a sleepy, semi-rural town sitting inland and out of the action.

For history buffs and true Coast locals, however, Nambour has a very interesting past, and is a great place to live.

The name "Namboura is derived from the Aboriginal word anaambaa, referring to the red-flowering tea-tree (callistemon viminalis).

The town was originally called Petrie's Creek but in 1891 was renamed after William Samwell's cattle station which was called Nambour.

As far back as 1870 Mathew Carroll became the first settler at Petrie's Creek when he selected 100 acres (40 hectares), which included the present showgrounds.

The family lived in a bark hut where the Nambour Bowling Club is now located, before moving to a house on what became known as Carroll's Hill and, years later, Showground Hill.

In 1884 he opened the area's first business, the Tullababa Hotel and, in 1885, a Post Office Receiving Office was opened at Carroll's Hotel with Mathew Carroll in charge.

Other early settlers included Henry Hootan, who selected an 80-acre homestead on the south bank of Petrie's Creek in 1872 (re-selected by Thomas Howard in 1877); William Perren, who selected 338 acres of land along Petrie Creek in 1878; and Daniel Currie, who took up land on Lamington Terrace in the vicinity of the present Catholic Church in 1881.

Some of these surnames are recognisable as street names in the township.

The remainder of the Petrie Creek valley was selected by the early 1880s and, in 1886, the Sylvannia (Rosemount) School was opened, and children from around Petrie Creek attended the school.

By 1885 two sawmills were in operation on the south bank of Petrie's Creek in the Rosemount area a one operated by George Etheridge and the other by James Mitchell & Sons.

The Maroochy Divisional Board was established in 1890, with its headquarters at Nambour.

That same year, the railway connection from Brisbane was completed and, when it officially opened in January 1891, Petrie's Creek was renamed Nambour, blocks were subdivided and new settlers started clearing the land to grow fruit, sugarcane and farm produce. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.