Newspaper article The Chronicle (Toowoomba, Australia)

Bank Celebrates Community Connections

Newspaper article The Chronicle (Toowoomba, Australia)

Bank Celebrates Community Connections

Article excerpt

Byline: Joanne Marsh @thechronicle.com.au

LONG-time customers, current and past staff and business leaders gathered recently to celebrate Westpac's 150 years of service to the Toowoomba community.

An official cake cutting and opening of a display of memorabilia at the Ruthven Street branch was followed by lunch at the Empire Church Theatre for about 200 people.

Westpac, originally the Bank of New South Wales, opened its first agency in Toowoomba on July 3, 1860.

In 1861, Toowoomba's first council appointed the bank as the municipality's treasurer.

The purchase of acreage on the corner of Ruthven and Margaret streets gave the bank a readily identifiable spot in the town.

A "temporary" timber building was erected on the corner in 1864 and stood until removal in the late 1880s for an elegant two-story brick building.

The bank building was remodelled in 1940 and over the years has undergone a number of changes.

In 1982, with the merger between the Bank of New South Wales and the Commercial Bank of Australia and the subsequent formation of Westpac Banking Corporation, Toowoomba became a Westpac branch. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.