Newspaper article Tweed Daily News (Tweed Heads, Australia)

Shipping Magnate Pays Visit

Newspaper article Tweed Daily News (Tweed Heads, Australia)

Shipping Magnate Pays Visit

Article excerpt

Byline: LOOKING BACK Di Millar

IN February 1926 Mr Robert H Langley, of the old firm of Langley brothers, visited the Tweed as a guest of pion- eer Tweed shipping proprietor Mr George Skinner.

Mr Langley recalled his first visit to Murwillumbah some 50 years earlier when it was only a river bank settlement and the only trading bank, on the south bank of the Tweed River, was the Commercial of Sydney."

In April 1926 SS Dorrigo, purchased in June 1925 from the North Coast Steam Navigation Company by Messrs John Burke Ltd of Brisbane, was making her second trip north on the recently inaugurated Sydney to Thursday Island run when she foundered 14 miles from Double Island Point. The steamer slowly keeled over after taking in a large amount of water. Of the 24 crew on board only a few survived.

Robert Langley died at his residence in the Sydney suburb of Pymble on April 13, 1929. At 78 years of age he was the eldest son of the late Robert Langley Snr. Originally associated with his father's business in Sussex Street, Sydney, Robert Langley did much to open up the North Coast, and especially the Tweed River, shipping trade that his father's vessels began many years earlier.

The North Coast Steam Navigation Company-owned tug Terranora was sounding the Tweed Bar in February 1933, and as she was being turned, her bow touched on a sand spit not far from the end of the northern break water. The wind and tide swung the Terranora around so that she struck the breakwater on the port side knocking a hole in her hull. The tug went ashore and became a total wreck.

The hull of the tug Terranora was sold at auction six days later for 14 pounds 10 shillings. The buyer was one of her former owners Mr Alfred Langley.

In early 1934 the North Coast Steam Navigation Company decided to establish a weekly shipping service with the SS Cobaki from John Burke and Company's South Brisbane wharf to the Tweed and Richmond rivers. When the shipping company was finished with the Cobaki her engines were taken out and she was sold to the engineering firm of S G White to serve as a store ship tied to the Balmain wharf. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.