Newspaper article The Observer (Gladstone, Australia)

Businesses Assessing Fire Damage; Owners Shocked to Hear News

Newspaper article The Observer (Gladstone, Australia)

Businesses Assessing Fire Damage; Owners Shocked to Hear News

Article excerpt

Byline: SASHA PCINO

THE aftermath Co ash and smoulder marred local businesses yesterday, after a fire tore through the Village Shopping Centre in Gladstone about 5.30pm on Tuesday.

The blaze began in the Blue Peacock kitchen but spread, with a plume of black smoke blanketing the complex end of Goondoon Street.

The fire caused smoke, water and electrical damage to the pharmacy, newsagency and ice creamery as well as smoke damage to other businesses.

The Blue Peacock owner Tracey Bourke was shocked to hear of the news.

At the time The Observer went to print, Mrs Bourke had not yet been to the store to assess the damage.

But Auscare Pharmacy worker Kellie Seeney said: "The roof collapsed in, there's water damage, the walls are ruined, the carpet's ruined (and) everything's covered in ash."

Meanwhile, the Great Australian Ice Creamery owner Yvonne Kamholtz described the smoke damage as "horrendous".

"I think we are going to have to throw out anything that's not refrigerated in the shop," she said. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.