Newspaper article The Journal (Newcastle, England)

Fa Carlsberg Vase / Stl Northern League

Newspaper article The Journal (Newcastle, England)

Fa Carlsberg Vase / Stl Northern League

Article excerpt

four STL Northern League sides in Saturday's FA Carlsberg Vase fifth round, writes MALCOLM PRATT.

Holders Whitley Bay and Dunston UTS go into today's quarter-finals draw, but the dream of playing at Wembley ended for Spennymoor Town and Billingham Synthonia.

A bumper four-figure crowd at Hillheads saw Whitley Bay come from behind and send Dunstable Town crashing to a 5-1 defeat.

Luke Abraham had given the visitors the lead just before the interval before two goals in as many minutes from Lee Kerr and Paul Chow had Bay fans cheering on their heroes.

Paul Robinson soon struck a third goal and the Seahorses were on their way. In the last minute Kerr converted a penalty, while in stoppage time Chow struck again to raise hopes of a third consecutive Wembley trip.

Dunston UTS were a happy lot on their long journey back from Stansted.

Fergal Harkin and Andrew Bulford were their match-winners in a thoroughly workmanlike team performance , in which Terry Galbraith produced a superb, man-ofthe-match performance.

Spennymoor Town, though, were dispirited at losing to Poole Town, where they led through Michael Rea and Stephen Capper (pen).

Jason Ainsley's team looked on course for victory but Stephen Smith scored twice in four minutes to level the scores and then, with extra time looming, Poole went through with an 89th-minute goal from Dan Cann.

Billingham Synthonia's hopes ended at Plymouth, where an only goal after 18 minutes by Josh Grant proved sufficient for Torpoint Athletic.

In the STL Northern League First Division, Ashington conceded an 87thminute winner to Penrith following a seven-goal thriller at Woodhorn Lane.

Wayne Robertson was twice on target by the 18th minute before Stephen Young reduced the deficit early in the second half.

Lee Otway then restored Penrith's two-goal cushion, only for Darren Lough and Scott Blandford to restore parity by the 68th minute.

An exciting finale ensured and it was the Cumbrians who took all three points, thanks to Otway's second goal three minutes from time.

Bedlington Terriers went down to an only goal by Glen Butterworth at Billingham Town, and Tow Law Town won the local derby with Esh Winning, who were first to score courtesy of Marc Gibson. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.