Newspaper article The Journal (Newcastle, England)

Carlisle's Trophy Reign Is at an End; Accrington Stanley 3 Carlisle United 2

Newspaper article The Journal (Newcastle, England)

Carlisle's Trophy Reign Is at an End; Accrington Stanley 3 Carlisle United 2

Article excerpt

CARLISLE United fell S at the first hurdle in their defence of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy at Accrington Stanley.

The home side snatched a last-gasp victory despite a valiant effort from a nineman Carlisle side, who looked like they might just have enough to sneak an unlikely win for themselves.

United manager Greg Abbott said: "Those lads have given us everything and I am gutted for them. They fought and scrapped and took the lead despite the sendings off, and we couldn't have asked for anything more. In the end the extra men have made the difference and this is a horrible, horrible way to lose a game. We'll focus on the positives of hat has been a battling display later in the week, but right now this is just really hard to take."

The game took a while to settle but it was Carlisle asking most of the questions as they tried to utilise their wide men. Liam Noble drilled the first shot of the night right at Dunbavin after good shielding work from Miller, and Curran lifted a shot on the turn over the bar as Zoko found some unexpected space.

United should have taken the lead on 15 minutes when a Berrett corner ricocheted off Lee Miller. It landed kindly for Curran but he lost his balance as he turned his man and could only scuff his shot right at the keeper with the width of the goal to aim at.

And Accrington almost punished the miss immediately when they broke forward in numbers. Proctor crossed low and a dummy from Joyce left Louis Moult unmarked. The back four were stretched but the youngster lost his cool and blazed his shot into the stands.

Stanley grew in confidence and they edged into the lead when a free-kick outfoxed Livesey and Peter Murphy with Craig Lindfield slotting home.

A rare chance fell to shot-shy Carlisle on 37 minutes when Miller flicked the ball on from the edge of the area. Curran touched it on and Dunbavin had to save at point blank range as the ball headed for the back of the net.

A tough task became a mountain to climb just before the break when Murphy fouled scorer Lindfield twice in quick succession and referee Chris Foy wasted no time in reaching for the red card to send him from the field. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.