Newspaper article The Morning Bulletin (Rockhampton, Australia)

Mum Believes Son Got off Lightly

Newspaper article The Morning Bulletin (Rockhampton, Australia)

Mum Believes Son Got off Lightly

Article excerpt

PART 2 of a Rockhampton mother's tale of despair and heartache as she strives against the odds to save a wayward teenage son whose life began unravelling last year.

AFTER he (15-year-old son) ran away again I didn't see him for about a month.

He then came back home as he had to start going to court, and that's when I found out what he had done. Also in between all of this my husband and I separated as the pressure was really bad.

My eldest daughter was left alienated as all our attention was going on my son, even after everything he had done. My husband had quit his job to stay home as my son was causing issues there.

My husband went to court with my son and he was then directed to go to youth justice, finish Year 10 and to do community service.

I think my son went to court a total of three times for different offences, but was referred to youth justice, which a lot of kids are these days.

At youth justice we had to have a meeting with his case worker (a different one each time), but my son just acted up the whole time.

From these meetings a date was set to meet the victims (but I could not attend due to work) affected by what my son had done in his crime spree and to discuss what he could do rectify what he had done and to apologise.

To me this was too light. I am his mother and it was too light.

To this date he has not done his community service and has not finished his Year 10.

While this was all happening in my life, his mood and attitude would change dramatically.

He would come to me angry and all worked up, ready to punch me, then he broke down and told me he was self-harming.

He showed me the cut marks and he said he wanted help.

Right there and then I contacted Mental Health and spoke with two people and I was told that as he was not an acute patient and due to his age that they could not help me.

I then took him to our family doctor and he had to fill out a form and when we went back (this took two weeks to do), he could refer him to a psychologist.

This might sound bad, but we did take him previously to one when he started having troubles at school and it cost $150 and you only got $50 of it back. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.