Newspaper article Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England)

Gateshead Pip Morpeth after Results Drama; Sherman Cup Joy 24 Hours On

Newspaper article Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England)

Gateshead Pip Morpeth after Results Drama; Sherman Cup Joy 24 Hours On

Article excerpt

TWENTY-FOUR hours after scrutinising the results, Gateshead Harriers were announced winners of the Sherman Cup cross-country races at Temple Park, South Shields.

Morpeth Harriers were originally named as winners of the trophy but a recheck found that Gateshead had indeed won - the Tynesiders scoring 123 points after the four races against the Northumbrians' 124 with Sunderland Harriers picking up the bronze medals on 229 points.

In an exciting day's competition, Morpeth came out on top in the under-13 race with Gateshead leading the way home in the under-15s, under-17s and senior. In the nine-kilometre senior race, which had the biggest field ever of 279 finishers, guest athletes Ryan McLeod (Tipton) and Steve Hepples (Belgrave) filled the first two places, with Morpeth's Matt Nicholson being awarded first place in the chase for Sherman Cup points.

The trio, together with Gateshead's Ryan Stephenson, were locked together at the completion of the first of three testing circuits.

However, approaching half-way through the contest, Loughboroughbased McLeod upped the tempo and immediately pulled away and by the finish was over a minute clear of his rivals.

Second-placed Hepples finished just six seconds ahead of Nicholson with Stephenson crossing the line in fourth place followed by Jarrow and Hebburn's Graeme Taylor.

Gateshead junior Callum Johnson, competing in his first race over the distance, paced himself nicely to finish in sixth position and with Marc Elliott in ninth it was the cornerstone of Gateshead's team victory which led to overall Sherman champions.

Morpeth were not to be denied in the race for the Davison Shield, a competition for female athletes, and while they were pushed into second place in the men's contest, they were the only club to close in teams in all four races.

They were led home in the senior race - once again a record field of 120 - by Sarah Wilkinson, who, after being in second place for much of the sixkilometre contest, found herself at the head of affairs when Wallsend's Danielle Hodgkinson lost around 300 metres when going off course on the second of the two laps. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.