Newspaper article The Chronicle (Toowoomba, Australia)

Greenmount: A Rural Alternative; by Marina Jetnikoff

Newspaper article The Chronicle (Toowoomba, Australia)

Greenmount: A Rural Alternative; by Marina Jetnikoff

Article excerpt

suburbsnapshot

GREENMOUNT, a rural township and district, about 51 km2 in size is 25km south of the CBD and has a population of 336.

Greenmount, once part of the vast Eton Vale Holding, is sited on the Gaibal people's land.

The district consists of rich lucerne flats of deep black soil and sheltered rolling downs.

The 1868 Land Act resulted in intensive land usage with large leased runs being sold off as 260-2000 hectare lots.

Donald Mackintosh, an early selector chose his land in the Emu Creek District.

He named his property Greenmount after his home in Scotland and it is believed to have been the first land cultivated in the district.

It became the name of the district after it was decided as the name of the railway station built in 1876 at the siding west of Emu Creek.

In the 1890s Donald McIntyre established a co-operative cheese-making venture in Forsyth's barn, believed to be a first for Queensland.

The Mount Sibley factory, built in 1894 to serve the growing industry and adding to the prosperity of the neighbourhood.

It was considered to have been responsible for the development of the dairy industry and by 1899 had substantially increased land values in the district.

By 1906 the factory was fully equipped and 1400 gallons of milk passed through the factory per day equating to a daily output of three-quarters of a ton of cheese per day.

In 1872 a railway siding was built at Emu Creek about 2.5 miles west of the developing village.

Recently widowed, Violet Brodie moved her children to the McIntyre family home on the Clifton Estate at Emu Creek.

There was no township at the siding and the only building was a disused hotel bought by Violet for A[pounds sterling]150 in 1876, to establish a store.

A shopping trip to Toowoomba took two days on a horse and dray so it is no surprise that Violet's business grew steadily.

Violet's daughter, married Arthur Hoey Davis the first chairman of the Cambooya Shire Council.

Arthur Hoey Davis, aka author Steele Rudd, of Dad and Dave fame, lived in the region and attended the local school until the age of 12.

The siding became the district's service centre, being surveyed and named the West Greenmount Township in 1877.

By early 1900, the Greenmount area was closely settled with homesteads and cultivated fields in portions of 45 to 1000 acres and famous for barley which yielded 40 bushels an acre.

Two townships developed as more families settled in the district.

George Essex Evans, a local poet, wrote that the houses of settlers were extremely large and well built and that as a class these farmers are exceedingly well-to-do.

West Greenmount, a miniature township, two miles from the earlier settlement, grew around the railway station and Brodie's store.

The Emu Creek School opened in 1875 and though it maintained its name the hamlet and the district was known as East Greenmount. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.