Newspaper article The Queensland Times (Ipswich, Australia)

City Park Dates Back to 1842; Ipswich's Grand Open Space Took on Many a Role from Its Early Years

Newspaper article The Queensland Times (Ipswich, Australia)

City Park Dates Back to 1842; Ipswich's Grand Open Space Took on Many a Role from Its Early Years

Article excerpt

Byline: Times Past with Beryl Johnston

ONE of the earliest sections in Ipswich's historical past is Queens Park.

aOn his plan of the survey of Ipswich in 1842, surveyor Henry Wade made a Reserve for Public Recreation and Botanic Gardens; this area was 79 and one half acres and 32 perchesa so wrote Leslie E Slaughter in his book aIpswich Municipal Centenarya published in March 1960.

It wasn't until 1862 that the Trustees of a Botanic Garden in the Town of Ipswich were named.

The men appointed by the Government were John Panton, George Thorn, Patrick O'Sullivan, Frederick Angustus Forbes, Christopher Gorry, Dr Henry Challinor, Arthur Macalister and Henry Kilner.

By 1862 the area of the Botanic Gardens had been extended to 207 acres 14 perches which took in land to the Bremer River.

The Botanic Gardens were bordered by Boundary St (Salisbury Rd) Chermside Rd to Torch St along the Bremer River and Milford St.

Sections of Queens Park were used for other purposes as this advertisement in January 1864 shows: - 100 acre paddock, close to town a the Queens Park. The Trustees are prepared to receive tenders for the lease, for a year, of this ground, now in the occupation of Mr Raper from 1st February 1864. For terms apply to H Kilner Hon Sect to Trustees.

A part of the Botanic Gardens was transferred from the Trustees to the Ipswich Council in 1893.

Over the years, the land on which the Ipswich Girls' Grammar School is situated (formerly a part of Queen's Park) was transferred from the council to the government on June 30, 1890 and the government granted the land for the school for a quit rent of one peppercorn a year, if demanded.

Other land to be resumed from the park was for the new railway line to Brisbane in 1874; the Central Boys and Girls Schools, the Ipswich Croquet Club (1902), Ipswich Bowling Club (1910), the Ipswich Lawn Tennis Association (1934), a curators house, an Incinerator (now home to the Ipswich Little Theatre Society Inc ) and a kiosk.

Other buildings and areas include bush house, glass house, kindergarten, Drill shed, Police Youth Club, plant nursery, Nerima Gardens, playground and sports fields and other attractions. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.