Newspaper article The Queensland Times (Ipswich, Australia)

Election Vital to Industry Future; ,CyPositive Atmosphere'needed to Rebuild Codes

Newspaper article The Queensland Times (Ipswich, Australia)

Election Vital to Industry Future; ,CyPositive Atmosphere'needed to Rebuild Codes

Article excerpt

WHILE a lot of us were in the land of nod last night, the last of the Inter-dominion Championships which bore any resemblance to the original concept was run and won.

A poll conducted on the harness racing website before the race had 369 respondees, who saw the win chances of the respective runners as follows: Imthemightyquinn 49%, Smoken Up 27%, Auckland Reactor 10%, Mr Feelgood 4%, Raglan 3%.

The remaining four runners polled 5% of the vote. That totals 98% and leads one to assume that the second reserve Dasher VC (with 1%) was expected to make the grand final with a rough chance and 1% were lost in the washup.

All we can do when we get the result is see how accurate the voters were.

Funny things polls but if the LNP does not win the election set down for March 24, all three codes of racing in Queensland will know what a cold winter feels like.

The late Labour stalwart Tom Burns once stated that racing only existed to fund schools and hospitals.

That was when there were only two players Co racing and government.

Now we have four with the addition of shareholders and sports betting.

I am not suggesting that the government subsidise racing, far from it.

What is needed is a positve atmosphere in which the three codes can rebuild themselves.

In my view, the ALP seems unlikely to provide that atmosphere.

WHAT do we do tomorrow?

We take a lovely relaxing drive through the Lockyer Valley and up the hill to Clifford Park at Toowoomba.

The RASQ has a first class six race program set down for decision with the first race at 12.35pm.

The main event is the Kay Seymour Toowoomba Pacing Cup run over the 1660m. It has attracted class pacers, Lebron (D. Belford), Sunlit Plains (B. Cockburn) and the noted speed horse Holy Camp Harry (G. Litzow).

The last will go at 3.55pm leaving plenty of time to get home.

Extras on the day include Fashions on the Field after race 3 with Harvey World Travel putting up a valuable travel voucher and all day live entertainment by the Broxburn Music Club.

If it's variety you want, BMC will provide it.

BEST effort of the week was Darrel Graham, with three winners trained and four driven. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.