Newspaper article The Evening Standard (London, England)

Coulson and Brooks Face New Charges

Newspaper article The Evening Standard (London, England)

Coulson and Brooks Face New Charges

Article excerpt

Byline: Justin Davenport Crime Editor

DAVID CAMERON'S former spin doctor Andy Coulson and Rebekah Brooks will be charged over alleged corrupt payments by News International to public officials, it was announced today.

Sun reporter John Kay and former News of the World royal correspondent Clive Goodman will also face action, the Crown Prosecution Service said.

A fifth person to be charged in connection with the Operation Elveden inquiry is a Ministry of Defence employee said to have been paid [pounds sterling]100,000 by The Sun.

Coulson, editor of the News of the World until 2007, and Goodman face two charges of conspiracy to commit misconduct in a public office relating to alleged payments to public officials in exchange for information, including a royal phone directory known as the "Green Book".

The book contained contact details for the royal family and members of the household.

Ex-News International chief executive Brooks, who was editor of The Sun between January 2003 and September 2009, is charged with Kay and MoD official Bettina Jordan-Barber. The three are accused of a conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office between January 1, 2004 and January 31, 2012.

The charge relates to information allegedly provided by Jordan-Barber to The Sun in return for payments of around [pounds sterling]100,000 and which is said to form the basis of "a series of news stories published by The Sun".

Jordan-Barber is a deputy team leader and strategy officer Continued on Page 5

Continued from Page 1 at the MoD in London, according to her profile on LinkedIn. Previously she is said to have had a key role in the MoD's operations in Afghanistan where she was a "visits strategy officer" for two years.

The Ministry of Defence confirmed that she worked for them but refused to comment on her current role.

All five were informed of the CPS decision this morning. They are expected to attend police stations in the next few days to be formally charged and will appear before Westminster magistrates later.

Alison Levitt QC, the CPS principal legal adviser, said: "All of these matters were considered carefully in accordance with the DPP's guidelines on the public interest in cases affecting the media. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.