Newspaper article Coffs Coast Advocate (Coffs Harbour, Australia)

Brilliant Conditions but Green Water All Around

Newspaper article Coffs Coast Advocate (Coffs Harbour, Australia)

Brilliant Conditions but Green Water All Around

Article excerpt

Byline: Rick OaFerrall

WHAT a week. Excellent weather up and down the Solitary Coast for a change. However, while weather is one thing, water is another, and the green water from the floods of last month is still having a lingering effect out at sea.

That said, the Solitary Islands Clubas Heavy Tackle Challenge tournament this past weekend turned up some good results, even though the water quality meant that boats had to work hard to find quality game fish.

Early on Saturday, the big visiting Gold Coast boat, Mistress, had a nice shot on a blue marlin early in the day, but in a really freakish moment typical of game fishing, the marlin ran over a second line shortly after it hooked up as it charged out of the pattern. The fish flipped a loop of the other line around its body and the second lure defied million-to-one odds and hooked over the line and stayed on the fish, thus disqualifying it. Mistress also jumped off another blue marlin that afternoon, so they had a very frustrating day.

There were better stories though, with an early blue marlin tag for the team on No Frills, and black marlin raised and tagged by Kikino, Long Time Dead and Mustang.

One of the better blue marlin of the tournament came up in green water behind Foreign Exchange and charged off with one of my favourite lures out in 300 fathoms. The fish hit hard and had over 300 metres of 37kg line stripped off the big Tiagra in less than a minute, putting on a spectacular display of high speed jumps which at one point had it overtaking the boat in a sea of white water a couple of hundred metres to starboard. The fish looked really, really big, but as luck would have it everyone was busy and nobody could grab a camera.

Angler Nick Brunyee soon got it all under control, and the fish dived deep, so for the next two hours it was the familiar story of winning line from the fish only to have it all taken back anytime the fish got close enough to decide it didnat like the look of the boat.

After two hours and 20 minutes and six or seven previous appear- ances of the leader at the back of the boat, the fish was tagged and measured and swam away healthy. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.