Newspaper article Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England)

Clinic Boss Bites Back; Singer Kerry's Vampire Facelift 'Was Safe'

Newspaper article Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England)

Clinic Boss Bites Back; Singer Kerry's Vampire Facelift 'Was Safe'

Article excerpt


A CLINIC boss has rubbished claims that Kerry Katona was ever in danger after undergoing a "vampire facelift" in Newcastle.

The former Atomic Kitten star has told how her face swelled up "like the Elephant Man" following the gruesome cosmetic procedure - which involves injecting blood platelets into the face - at ReVamp in Jesmond.

Describing her "ordeal" the mum-of-four said she was afraid to go to sleep as she was "scared I would never wake up" and that five days after undergoing the supposedly anti-ageing treatment she still felt so battered that she went to her GP for steroids to reduce the puffiness.

But a director of the firm, James Wilde, has hit back, claiming that the initial reaction to the "platelet rich facial rejuvenation" was nothing out of the norm, and that the reality TV star had been warned about the potential recovery time.

And despite offering a financial settlement to the former Westlife WAG for loss of earnings, he insists the operation is safe, with more than 200 happy patients - himself and ultimately Kerry included. "The treatment was carried out in line with stringent protocols," said James, who set up the business - which has two qualified nurses and a specialist consultant surgeon on staff - last September.

"We discussed it with Kerry beforehand and she was warned that the body''s reaction to the treatment is very individual.

"But unfortunately within hours of the treatment it became apparent that Kerry was extremely anxious about the after-effects and no amount of reassurance from ourselves or from a platelet rich plasma (PRP) specialist doctor that we arranged to speak to her GP was able to allay her fears."

The procedure was carried out on March 31 and James says he is puzzled as to why the singer suffered such an alleged reaction, as the average recovery time for his patients has been two days and even he - who allowed his colleagues to practise the "Dracula treatment" on him when they trained last November - only suffered swelling for 72 hours.

"The photographs we have seen and the description of symptoms for the 48 hours following the treatment were completely consistent with what we would expect.

"Ongoing support was given by our clinical team and an outside PRP specialist, who also confirmed it was consistent and there was no evidence of anything other than swelling.

"The safety of our patients is paramount and if we had thought for a moment that Kerry was at any risk we would have advised immediate emergency medical intervention, however, this was not the case.

"An independent outside PRP specialist spoke to Kerry's GP and he confirmed that her symptoms were confined to minor heat and swelling in her cheeks, which is entirely what we would expect.

"We are still unable to explain why Kerry's symptoms continued for so much longer than normal, this is an extremely safe procedure and nothing like this has ever occurred in over 200 successful treatments that we've carried out previously. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.