Newspaper article The Journal (Newcastle, England)

Ebac Northern League

Newspaper article The Journal (Newcastle, England)

Ebac Northern League

Article excerpt

TWO goals in a minute late in the game earned Team Northumbria their place in the first qualifying round of the FA Cup and a home tie against Scarborough Athletic.

With a replay looking a distinct possibility, Peter Watling headed in on 80 minutes, and within 60 seconds Lewis Storey added a second goal to see off a determined challenge by Whitehaven in Cumbria.

Jarrow Roofing defeated Dunston UTS in another close encounter. Stuart Nicholson and his brother Dean gave Roofing the cushion of a two-goal lead before UTS were thrown a late lifeline as Lewis Teasdale converted a penalty.

Morpeth Town earned themselves a second chance when they scored a late equaliser at Durham City, who took the lead through Ollie Hotchkiss, 16 minutes after the Northumbrians had been reduced to 10 men with the dismissal of Chris Jewels. With only four minutes remaining, City had Scott Fenwick red-carded, and two minutes from time Jordan Fry stabbed home to set up a replay. The winners will meet Jarrow Roofing in the next round.

It wasn't a happy day at the seaside for Ashington, who crashed out to Scarborough Athletic. They trailed by four goals to Mattie Plummer, Gary Bradshaw (2) and Kyle Collishaw before Andrew Johnson 's consolation.

Hebburn Town also went down, with Marske United edging victory on South Tyneside. Martin Roper cancelled out Matthew Jennings' early strike before Marske regained the lead through Liam O'Sullivan.

Crook Town produced one of the best results of the day when they defeated Kendal Town, who are above them in the pyramid system.

After Jordan Connerton had given the home side an early advantage, Crook built up a three-goal cushion thanks to Warren Byrne, Alex Marshall, Robbie Bird and Richard Hodgson before Danny Coid closed the gap in the 86th minute.

Spennymoor Town were two goals up through Gavin Cogdon and Keith Graydon but needed a 90th-minute penalty equaliser from Mark Davison at Newton Aycliffe, whose marksmen were Danny Earl, Jamie Owens and Danny Lambert. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.