Newspaper article Tweed Daily News (Tweed Heads, Australia)

Bilinga Had Blocks for 70 Dollars; Looking Back with Di Millar

Newspaper article Tweed Daily News (Tweed Heads, Australia)

Bilinga Had Blocks for 70 Dollars; Looking Back with Di Millar

Article excerpt

BY the early 1900s an expanse of land bordered by a long stretch of golden beach situated just north of Coolangatta was attracting visitors looking for a swim or a spot for beach fishing.

The area was also attracting government interest and in November 1918 the Queensland Lands Department began advertising land sales for seaside building sites at Coolangatta, Maroochydore and Bribie Island (Bongaree).

A total of 128 allotments were offered to the public at these popular seaside locations and 60 quarter-acre allotments were up for auction "in the newly named Town of Bilinga, and comprising the sea front stretching from near to northern section of Coolangatta to the surveyed sections near Tugun Railway Station".

The government auction for the allotments at Bilinga, expected to fetch prices from 35-70 pounds, was held "on the ground" on December 26, 1918. Further successful auctions took place in 1921 and 1922.

In early January 1922 a meeting of property owners and residents of Tugun and Bilinga was held at Tugun where it was decided to form a progress association. Another meeting was then held to elect association officers.

By the end of the month a deputation comprising Messrs H F Hardacre, R G Oates, L Bevan and G Brundy met with the Queensland Commissioner of Railways to voice their concerns over the Tugun railway station which was really nothing more than a siding.

The deputation stressed that there was a rapid advancement in the district but a number of consignments of building materials for residents and contractors destined for Tugun station were being lost or were going astray through lack of supervision. What the men wanted was for someone to be placed in charge of the station and have a station platform built. Later Mr Percy Henzel, another member of the progress association, opened a general store near Tugun station.

In September 1922 the Tugun and Bilinga Progress Association issued a request for Bilinga to have its own railway siding. The area's continuing growth also resulted in the Postmaster-General's office establishing a post office at Bilinga. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.