Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

Marske Can Still Take Pride from 6-2 FA Cup Defeat; NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL

Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

Marske Can Still Take Pride from 6-2 FA Cup Defeat; NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL

Article excerpt

Byline: Adam Steel Sports writer

MARSKE can take great pride from their FA Cup run even though it ended in a 6-2 defeat at Southport.

That's the overriding emotion of manager Ted Watts after seeing his side get outplayed by the Skrill Premier side in their first trip to the fourth qualifying round.

Marske made a disastrous start at the Merseyrail Community Stadium and were four goals down after 13 minutes.

But Glen Butterworth headed a goal back and Lewis Tidy got the goal of the game as the Seasiders saved face, smashing an 88th minute volley into the top corner from 35 yards.

Watts said: "I thought we froze a bit and the occasion got to us early on. Even before they scored their first goal there were fingers being pointed and players were being passed on.

"But good players make dif-ficult things look simple don't they? "It could have got really embarrassing but we dug in and got one back, which gave us a bit of incentive, and we kept going.

"It is a disappointing result but we have got to remember where we have come from and where we are going.

"We are growing as a team and we will get better.

"I'm very proud of the team.

We've only had 20 games together and there is a lot of young lads in it who will get better."

Danny Hattersley fired in from Jamie Milligan's pass to open the scoring after just four minutes, then Scott Brown swept in Matty Challoner's cutback as Marske got caught in the headlights early on.

Former West Brom striker Nathan Ellington made it 3-0 and Hattersley stroked the ball into the empty Marske net for the fourth after keeper Robert Dean's attempted clearance span into his path off visiting skipper Adam Wheatley.

Butterworth pulled a goal back on 28 minutes when he ghosted into the box unmarked to head home Bryan Stewart's cross.

Milligan made it 5-1 to Southport at half time with a tap-in following more haphazard Marske defending.

Wheatley headed a whisker wide after the restart as Marske responded, but Southport scored their sixth a minute later through substitute Karl Ledsham.

Marske kept plugging away and substitute Kerry Hedley had a powerful shot saved by Southport keeper Danny Hurst, then Tidy was lucky not to concede a penalty when he cleaned out Hattersley.

Ledsham curled wide with six minutes to go after tricking his way through but Marske's second goal from Tidy was a collector's item and sent the 300-odd visiting fans home in high spirits.

"The turn-out from the village was magnificent and the fans never stopped singing," Watts added.

"Lewis was getting patted on the head after the game and it was a great goal. It lifted everybody.

"The club had only got to the second qualifying round before, and we got to the fourth qualifying round. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.