Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

Havelock Happy with Point despite Meeting's Early End; SPEEDWAY

Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

Havelock Happy with Point despite Meeting's Early End; SPEEDWAY

Article excerpt

Byline: Martin Neal Sports writer

REDCAR Bears boss Brian Havelock was delighted with a point from his side's trip to Berwick even though the chance to do even better was dashed by an early finish.

The Ecco Finishing Bears were hot on the Bandits' heels at 32-28 when the match was prematurely ended after 10 races due to the 9.30pm curfew being reached after several delays.

As they were within seven points of their hosts it was good enough to bag them a Premier League point - but with Berwick down to just four riders and all of the Redcar top five on song, the extra five races could well have handed them the opportunity to snatch an unexpected win.

However Havelock said: "To be honest I felt all night we wouldn't get a thing and if you'd said to me 10 minutes before the start that we would get a point, I'd have grabbed it with both hands. I'm happy with that."

The delays came after first former Redcar favourite Matej Kus complained of feeling unwell and, after attention from the paramedic, was withdrawn from the meeting.

Then the paramedic was withdrawn from duty and sent home, the club saying in its offi-cial press release that: "...As the paramedic was returning to his position he too fell ill and collapsed."

With insufficient medical staff present there was a further delay while a replacement was sourced.

It arrived in the shape of Dr Alan Fortune who had been enjoying a meal in Kelso, but heroically pushed his plate aside, jumped straight in his car and headed for the track.

And he was soon called into action when Bandits skipper Matthew Wethers was injured in a nasty-looking fall.

Team-mate Liam Carr had got out of shape and Wethers, battling to keep an eager Rafal Konopka at bay, clattered the back of Carr's machine and fell heavily in front of the pits. Fortunately Konopka laid his bike down to ensure the outcome wasn't worse.

The county ambulance called for Kus hadn't left the stadium and Wethers, after being treated on the track, was loaded into it wearing a neck brace and with an injury to his right hip. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.