Newspaper article The Queensland Times (Ipswich, Australia)

Paddock Held Horses Used to Deliver Bread

Newspaper article The Queensland Times (Ipswich, Australia)

Paddock Held Horses Used to Deliver Bread

Article excerpt

TIME PAST

with Beryl Johnston

A BAKERY in Silkstone which occupied a site at the cnr of Station and Blackstone Rds was being demolished in August 1986. The bakery had been founded by Scottish immigrant John Whyte Hastings in 1877. Mr Hastings and his wife Margaret also established their home there, but this was demolished in the 1940s. When the bakery business expanded, a shop was built in the section where the home had stood.

The Hastings had a family of one daughter and six sons and four of the sons - Herbert, James, John and George - went into the family business while Arthur became a jeweller and David a tailor. Although the main trade was bread-baking, there were some cakes for sale at weekends in later years.

There was a large timber shed facing Blackstone Rd which was the flour store and a two-horse wagon was used to take flour from the Booval Station to the bakery. The ovens were fired with coke from the Ipswich Coke Company North Ipswich, but sometimes wood (mainly wattle) was used and this was delivered by Tommy Pickering.

Behind the bakery was a large shed and paddock for the 18 horses which were used to pull the delivery vans (loaded with bread) to customers in the Blackstone, Tivoli and Brassall areas.

Water became scarce during the drought of the early 1900s so John Hastings arranged to extend the then current well in the yard down to 91ft, at which depth a water supply was obtained and a flow of 100 gallons an hour became possible. John Hastings died in 1913 and his sons took over the business. Finally the Hastings family sold the business in 1948 to Mr Baurboulas.

SALVATION ARMY HOME

About the middle of May 1897, Commandant Herbert and Mrs Booth dedicated the Salvation Army Home at Riverview to "The glory of God, the blessing of humanity and the Christ-like mission of the Salvation Army". The property of 240 acres had been bought from John Ashburn's estate for 1200 pounds. It was situated on the banks of the Bremer River only a few minutes' walk from the Riverview Railway Station. The Salvation Army also leased 70 acres for grazing purposes.

Magistrates used to send lads who had been convicted of offences to the Riverview home, but the system was changed so that when the authorities at Riverview wanted more boys, they would obtain them from the Westbrook Reformatory on the Darling Downs. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.