Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

Nine Left as Six Bow out at the Very First Hurdle

Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

Nine Left as Six Bow out at the Very First Hurdle

Article excerpt

TEESSSIDE LEAGUE SIX of the 15 Teesside League teams that entered the North Riding County Cup bowed out at the first hurdle.

North Ormesby progressed with a 5-0 win at Catterick Rovers, Thirsk Falcons beat second division Redcar Athletic Reserves 1-0 and Great Ayton United enjoyed a 6-2 win at Seamer Sports, which included a hat-trick for Ashley Woodier.

Two goals from Alex Brown helped Nunthorpe Athletic to a 3-2 victory at Huntington Rovers and Lingdale had a 4-2 win at United Sports Bar.

Two matches involving four Teesside League teams resulted in a 3-1 victory for Grangetown Boys' Club against Northallerton Town and Redcar Newmarket beat New Marske 2-0. The teams which bowed out include Richmond Mavericks, who were beaten 1-0 by Terrington Glory, Yarm, who lost 7-3 to current holders University of York and Fishburn Park, who lost 3-2 at United Sports.

Boro Rangers were on the end of a surprise penalties loss at Stockton Churches after drawing 4-4 in normal time and Whinney Banks YCC lost 4-1 at Wiggington Grasshoppers.

BEADS took advantage of the cup weekend with a 4-0 win at Stockton West End to take top spot in Division One. The scorers were Carl Matthews, Karl Liley, Mark Sowerby and David Aninakwah.

Thornaby Dubliners were made to work hard for a 3-2 victory over second division Middleton Rangers in the Raine Trophy.

Dimitri Kehi gave the Dubliners a 1-0 lead, but Rafal Kochanski pulled it back before Matthew Allen hit a screamer of a shot to give the Dubliners a 2-1 half-time lead. Anton Buchan gave the Dubliners a 3-2 lead, but the battling Rangers side pulled it back to 3-2 through Premyslaw Kuleszo.

Redcar Town moved up to second in Division Two following a 7-1 victory at previously unbeaten St Mary's College, with Stuart Poulter scoring a hat-trick.

Elsewhere, Staithes Athletic sealed their fifth victory on the bounce by beating Billingham Synthonia 5-3, Guisborough Globe were held to a 2-2 draw at Billingham despite leading 2-0 after 70 minutes, and Cargo Fleet fought back to draw 3-3 with Loftus Athletic. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.