Newspaper article The Observer (Gladstone, Australia)

School Has Proud History

Newspaper article The Observer (Gladstone, Australia)

School Has Proud History

Article excerpt

GLADSTONE South State School has cemented itself as one of the most historical schools in Gladstone.

It celebrates 117 years of operation in 2015, first opening as Parsons Point School in 1898.

The meatworks opened at Parsons Point in 1896.

Early in 1898 concerned citizens decided it was time to open a school to cater for the educational needs of meatworkers' children.

A provisional school was built on August 1, 1898. The building cost 48 pounds and there were 49 students enrolled at the end of the year.

In 1916 the school grounds urgently needed fencing due to goats being a nuisance.

The land on Toolooa St was secured and bought for 1000 pounds.

In 1945 it was moved to Toolooa St and renamed South Gladstone State School.

During the 1980s the name was again changed to Gladstone South State School.

Past teacher Dolly Robson contributed her story to the Parsons Point/Gladstone South State School Centenary booklet, published in 1998. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.