Newspaper article Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England)

Stations Reached End of the Line

Newspaper article Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England)

Stations Reached End of the Line

Article excerpt

Byline: Mike Kelly Reporter mike.kelly@ncjmedia.co.uk

THE North East is renowned as the birthplace of the railways, but over the years many of the rail stations were lost. We take a look back at some of them.

ROWLEY RAILWAY |STATION NEAR CONSETT Opened in 1845 on the west side of the A68 by the Stockton & Darlington Railway company, it was closed to passengers in 1939, then completely in 1966. Now demolished, the station site is now a picnic area for walkers and cyclists' using the Waskerley Way and the C2C Route.

BACKWORTH | Opened in1864 by Norther Eastern Railway as Hotspur, replacing another Backworth station on the line to Morpeth which had been opened as Holywell. The station was closed by the British Railways Board to enable the construction of the Tyne and Wear Metro, but was not re-opened as part of that system.

ASHINGTON | Opened in 1872 as Hirst. British Railways withdrew passenger services in 1964 as part of The Reshaping of British Railways.

ALLENDALE | Originally known as Catton Road when opened in the 1860s, it was built to carry freight, primarily the product of local lead mines. The line eventually opened to passengers in 1876. Passenger services were withdrawn in 1930 but freight services continued until 1950 when the line was abandoned.

BLACKHILL | Opened in 1867 west from the end of St Aidans Street by North Eastern Railway, it was closed to passengers in 1955 but remained open carrying coal into the late 1970s before it was completely closed.

Blyth |The Blyth, Seghill and Percy Main Railway opened the line to Blyth in 1847 and the first station was at Croft Street (now King Street). In 1867 a new station was opened to replace the original. Passenger services were withdrawn in November 1964 under The Reshaping of British Railways.

CARVILLE | Opened in1891 on the south side of Hadrian Road, close to junction with Park Road, about 300 yards east of Wallsend station. Closed to passengers in 1973.

GATESHEAD | Gateshead railway station was operational between 1844 and 1981. There were two parts to the station on different routes - at times they were known as Gateshead East and Gateshead West By 1953 the name was simplified to Gateshead as the number of services from the West station had dwindled to almost nothing by 1951. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.