Newspaper article The Queensland Times (Ipswich, Australia)

Memories of Precious Moments Never Die

Newspaper article The Queensland Times (Ipswich, Australia)

Memories of Precious Moments Never Die

Article excerpt

Byline: Sherelee Moody

THE nappy is too large, tubes run from his mouth, bellybutton and left foot, and strips of medical tape stretch across his delicate, almost translucent skin.

Each rib bone makes a long tiny bump on his small chest.

He sleeps facing left as one miniature hand seems to wave goodbye.

In another photo four perfectly formed fingers and one adorable little thumb peek out of the arm of a light blue wool jacket.

One image is a heart-breaking portrait of a little boy struggling to cling to life.

The other is a touching tribute to a baby who died 14 weeks shy of his due date.

Both photos belong to Kim Foran.

Ms Foran's first-born son, Jack, survived for two days after he was born at 27 weeks' gestation.

His baby brother, George, died in-utero - Ms Foran was 26 weeks pregnant.

"We met on a blind date," Ms Foran said of Jack and George's dad, Jack.

"We had talked and said we could see a future."

The pregnancy came as a shock for the new couple but they ploughed ahead with making a home for their baby.

A scan at 20 weeks revealed Jack was small for his age and a plethora of tests followed.

Shocked at the news she had a blood disorder that was hindering her baby's growth, Ms Foran did everything possible to carry him full-term.

"I was hospitalised for about three weeks before Jack was born," the 42-year-old psychologist said.

"I'd have scans and they would measure him and try to see how much he weighed.

"I can remember Jack kicking - once he actually kicked the ultrasound off my tummy.

"He was a very strong little man.

"We gave him a lot of hope."

Twenty-seven weeks into the pregnancy, doctors revealed the baby was close to death.

"They decided to knock me out for the caesarean," Ms Foran said.

Weighing just 492 grams, Jack entered the world on February 25, 2006.

"It was in the late afternoon-evening," Ms Foran says.

"I was unconscious for that night and then I was in serious pain so I didn't get to see him until the morning of the 27th."

With Jack hooked up to a respirator, Ms Foran's partner did the best he could to capture every moment of the baby's life. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.