Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

College Was a Fixture in Its Community

Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

College Was a Fixture in Its Community

Article excerpt

Byline: Ian McNeal ian.mcneal@trinitymirror.com

THE name Kirby College is one that will bring back memories for thousands of students who passed through the facility over the decades.

The Linthorpe college was one the best known educational establishments in Middlesbrough and dates back to the Edwardian era.

The impressive building was constructed in 1910 and went through a number of different guises during its lifetime.

The Roman Road facility was initially opened in 1911 as The Kirby Secondary School.

The official opening ceremony on October 17 was performed by HRH Prince Arthur of Connaught, who also that same day opened the Transporter Bridge.

The school later became the girls-only Kirby Grammar School.

In 1967 the school closed after merging with Acklam Hall Grammar School.

In 1968 the West Middlesbrough College of Further Education relocated to Roman Road, where from 1966 onwards the premises had been extended to include a five-storey teaching block and a two-storey communal block, and became Kirby College of Further Education.

In 1972, the college's premises were expanded with a new wing including specialist catering, hairdressing, and office-practice facilities, as well as improved library and communal facilities.

The extension was officially opened in September 1972 by the Lord Boyle of Handsworth.

At this time the college accommodated 520 full time and 5,000 part time students.

In 1995 Kirby merged with Acklam Sixth Form College to form Middlesbrough College.

The Gazette reported in 1999 how the college launched its new after-school base at the Barnes annexe of the Kirby campus with a medieval party.

A hallmark of the college was the wide-ranging courses on offer - in particular teaching vocational skills to help people into the world of work.

In 2001, The Gazette reported about the increasing numbers of men taking secretarial courses while the school's cooking facilities also provided regular picture opportunities. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.