Newspaper article Sunshine Coast Daily (Maroochydore, Australia)

Evolvingfaceof Rescue Service

Newspaper article Sunshine Coast Daily (Maroochydore, Australia)

Evolvingfaceof Rescue Service

Article excerpt

THE Sunshine Coast has come a long way in how it responds to a medical emergency.

Take a look at some of our early ambulance and rescue history.

Challenges were many but with it came change.

Today the Sunshine Coast has trained ambulance officers, well-equipped ambulances and a helicopter rescue service.

A joint effort

In 1924, Maroochydore opened a lifesaving clubhouse and ambulance centre.

It was a two-storey hardwood building and was officially opened by Sir Matthew Nathan on November 3, 1924.

It was erected on the site of the present Maroochydore Surf Life Saving Club by the Maroochydore Ambulance and Life Saving Society, with the chamber of commerce.

This building had a double purpose of housing the Ambulance Transport Brigade and the life saving club.

It comprised four rooms on the ground floor -- an ambulance room, bathroom, reel room and large mess room.

A stairway led to the top storey which contained a lookout and a large room.

The support for such a service was so great that when the ambulance and lifesaving club opened, more than 500 people attended.

The building was decorated with flags and palms and inside was a display of some of the districts primary products

Eumundi

Eumundi's honorary ambulance centre was established in 1923 and continued until 1945 when the decision was made that all ambulance work would be centralised and based in Nambour.

The ambulance was a 1923 four-cylinder Dodge that was purchased in July 1928, at a cost of 360 pounds.

The ambulance was driven by the Etheridge Brothers with William Burrell as stretcher bearer.

Maroochydore

The sub-centre was established in 1937 in Main Beach Rd (later named Sixth Ave).

The building and furnishings were bought from J & J Lowe and relocated to the site from Wharf St, Maroochydore.

Part of the front veranda was subsequently enclosed to act as a casualty room.

Until November 1959, the building was only manned during holiday periods.

It served the community until December 1961, when it was sold and replaced by a two-storey brick and chamferboard building, which was officially opened by the then Premier of Queensland, G. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.