Newspaper article The Journal (Newcastle, England)

Fa Cup / Ebac Northern League

Newspaper article The Journal (Newcastle, England)

Fa Cup / Ebac Northern League

Article excerpt

WASHINGTON are one of three Ebac Northern League sides in today's draw for the Third Qualifying Round of the FA Cup - but they're not there yet, writes MALCOLM PRATT.

They will take encouragement. though. for tomorrow night's replay after holding Evo Stik League Premier Division heavyweights Marine to a draw in Liverpool on Saturday.

The Mechanics - now the only unbeaten side in the Ebac Northern League - were very much the underdogs but came close to winning at the first attempt.

Fortunes ebbed and flowed throughout the 90 minutes, with Mark Davison (two penalties) and Chris Winn on target for Washington and Lloyd Ellams (pen), Chad White and Jamie Menagh earning Marine a second chance.

Whitley Bay are the only ENL side definitely through. They came from behind after Scott McGowan had given visitors Congleton Town the lead. The game turned on a two-minute spell midway during the second period. Adam Shanks volleyed in the equaliser and almost immediately struck the winner.

Newton Aycliffe live to fight another day tomorrow night when they travel to North Ferriby following a goalless draw, but Consett went out at home to Bradford Park Avenue.

Dan Hawkins fired the Steelmen in front on 74 minutes and after Chib Chilaka restored parity seven minutes from time, Consett's hearts sank when Richard Marshall hit the winner four minutes into stoppage time.

In the ENL First Division, Morpeth Town lost for the first time and are seven points behind Shildon with two games in hand.

North Shields took a two-goal lead at Craik Park through Curtis Coppen and James Luccock and although Morpeth played some attractive football, they never seriously threatened the Robins defence.

Shildon were coasting the local derby with Bishop Auckland but then had to defend for their lives in the closing minutes.

Paul Connor, Lewis Wing and Jordan Lavery (og) had them three goals up until the 77th minute. Kyle Davis scored a penalty and then missed one before Arjun Purewal struck and Shildon endured a nervous finale before clinging onto a 3-2 lead. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.