Newspaper article The Observer (Gladstone, Australia)

Church a Part of Town's History

Newspaper article The Observer (Gladstone, Australia)

Church a Part of Town's History

Article excerpt

Byline: Helen Spelitis gladstoneobserver.com.au

EVERY time Lyn Ferris drives past the Anglican Church at Bororen she remembers her wedding day.

Those thoughts are more poignant right now as the church is being offered for sale at a new bargain basement price.

The idea of the sale is making Lyn's memories more vivid. It was June in 1968 and she was wearing a floor length ivory gown with a beaded bodice and a big satin bow, which her mother made, fixed to the back of the dress.

The now large Poinciana tree, which has featured in just about every wedding photo taken there, was only a sapling back in those days.

On the big day the church itself had been decorated with roses and coloured sashes and she was surrounded by 65 of her, and her husband Victor's, family and friends.

It was a quaint wedding, Mrs Ferris had just one bridesmaid - her husband one groomsman.

Mrs Ferris, 66, has lived in Bororen all her life and for her the church has always been a part of the town.

But it might not be there for much longer.

It's been on the market since April last year and now the price has dropped from $129,000 to $65,000 real estate agent Deardrie Keleher has had quite a bit of interest.

For Mrs Ferris - it would be the end of an era.

Her son was married there too and every single one of her children were baptised at the church.

"It's a shame it's being sold because once it's gone it's gone forever," Mrs Ferris said.

"The church is a part of the history of the town.

"When I was a kid growing up there weren't many houses around in that main street - only five or six, and the church."

The town of Bororen was founded in the late 1800s.

The post office opened in 1898 and the school followed two years later.

In 1901 there were just 121 people living in the town but by the time the Anglican Church officially opened on July 2, 1931, that had grown to more than 300.

And although it wasn't the only one in town - The Presbyterian Church was brought from Clyde Creek to Bororen in 1923 - it was well attended in the earlier years. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.