Newspaper article The Journal (Newcastle, England)

Fa Carlsberg Vase / Ebac Northern League

Newspaper article The Journal (Newcastle, England)

Fa Carlsberg Vase / Ebac Northern League

Article excerpt

THERE were happy faces on the Morpeth Town coach travelling back from Hertfordshire on Saturday night - but it was doom and gloom for Dunston UTS.

Morpeth reached the quarter-finals of the FA Carlsberg Vase for the first time in their 120-year history. Dunston, though, crashed out in the cruellest way possible.

"It's a fantastic feeling for everyone involved in the club - especially for chairman Ken Beattie. We thoroughly deserved to beat Birkhamsted and I can tell you it was a great bus to be on!" said manager Nicky Gray.

The Northumbrians had to come from behind after Tom Carter's powerful header.

Right on the interval Morpeth were awarded a penalty for a handling offence, and Luke Carr calmly fired home.

In the second half Morpeth pressed and their possession was rewarded as Michael Chilton forced home a James Novak corner.

"This is the greatest day the club has ever known and now we can't wait for the quarter-final at home to Bristol Manor Farm a week come Saturday," added King. Dunston UTS, who lifted the trophy at Wembley in 2012, looked to be on their way into the last eight when they led Ashford United by two goals at the UTS Stadium.

But it was not to be the Tynesiders' day in more ways than one. After only eight minutes Liam Connell was badly injured but Paul Booth escaped with only a yellow card.

Ten minutes later Connell had to be replaced in goal by Andy Clark, and manager Billy Irwin was quickly forced to make a second change, with Josh Clark taking over from Adam Nicholson.

The disruption didn't affect the side though and when Stephen Richardson and Malcolm Morien struck, it appeared UTS were on their way into the last eight.

However, Shaun Welford put Ashford back in the game and the tie turned on the referee's 65th-minute decision to send off Stephen Goddard.

Dunston's 10 men battled but were then cruelly sent crashing out of the competition.

Michael Phillips' shot took a deflection for an 89th-minute equaliser, and in added time Dan Smith turned the ball into his own net. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.